A OnePlus 5 on display at a London popup event
|Dual Camera. Clearer Photos.|
|2G, 3G, and 4G|
|June 20, 2017; 6 months ago (2017-06-20)|
|154.2 mm (6.07 in) H
74.1 mm (2.92 in) W
7.25 mm (0.285 in) D
|153 g (5.4 oz)|
Android 8.0.0 "Oreo")
|Qualcomm Snapdragon 835|
|Octa-core (4×2.45 GHz + 4×1.9 GHz) Kryo|
|6 or 8GB LPDDR4X RAM|
|64 or 128 GB UFS 2.1|
|3,300 mAh Li-Ion with Dash Charge technology|
|5.5" 1080p Optic AMOLED / DCI-P3 (401 ppi) with 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 5|
|16 MP Sony Exmor IMX398 (f/1.7, EIS) + 20 MP Sony Exmor IMX350 Telephoto (f/2.6)|
|16 MP Sony Exmor IMX371 (f/2.0, EIS, HDR)|
|3G, 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, GPS & GLONASS, USB Type-C|
|3.5mm headphone jack
The OnePlus 5 (also abbreviated as OP5) is a smartphone made by OnePlus. It is the successor to the OnePlus 3T released in 2016. The OnePlus 5 was officially unveiled during a keynote on 20 June 2017.
The Verge announced in May 2017 that the upcoming device would be known as the OnePlus 5. It was said that this decision was due to the number four being considered unlucky (tetraphobia) in China. OnePlus confirmed that the handset would feature a Snapdragon 835 processor prior to the launch. OnePlus also noted its work with the image processing firm DxO to improve the camera on the device.
The OnePlus 5 has an anodized metal back like its predecessors, the OnePlus 3 and 3T. The handset is currently available in Slate Gray (black/gray) and Soft Gold (white/gold) colors. The limited edition Soft Gold color was released on 7 August 2017. A Midnight Black (black/matte black) color was also manufactured, but later removed from their website. Another special edition version made in association with Castelbajac is exclusively available in Europe. It features a Slate Gray back with handwriting, along with colorful hardware buttons, called "JCC Edition" (8/128).
The device comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chipset clocked at 2.45 GHz, with up to 8 GB RAM and 128 GB storage. It has a 3300 mAh battery with OnePlus' proprietary Dash Charge technology and a 1080p AMOLED display with DCI-P3 wide colour gamut.
Following criticism of prior models' camera quality, OnePlus implemented an electronically-stabilized 16 MP Sony Exmor IMX398 camera module along with a 20 MP Sony Exmor IMX350 telephoto lens, capable of producing a bokeh effect. The front camera uses a 16MP IMX371 lens. OnePlus claims that the dual camera enables a 1.6X optical zoom; however, independent testing has only reproduced a 1.33X optical zoom. DxOMark gave the camera a rating of 87, which is above that of the iPhone 7.
OnePlus 5 was launched with OxygenOS 4.5 based on Android 7.1.1. One feature in OxygenOS is a reading mode.
The majority of initial reviews of the phone were positive. Engadget praised the phone's specifications in its price bracket. The Verge concurred and noted its departure from previous OnePlus phone designs, but pointed out design similarities with the iPhone 7 Plus. Wired noted that despite the phone's camera specifications, the photo quality was mediocre; however, it commended the smoothness and battery life of the device.
XDA Developers noted that the phone was locking the CPU and GPU at their maximum clock speeds while in certain games and benchmarks in order to inflate their benchmark scores, resulting in the phone reaching external temperatures as high as 50 °C. OnePlus co-founder, Carl Pei, defended the actions by saying that users "want to see the full potential of their device without interference from tampering" and that "Every OEM has proprietary performance profiles for their devices".
|OnePlus 5 Jelly Scrolling YouTube|
Users noted that the handset had a "jelly scrolling effect" due to an inverted display. OnePlus noted that this was not a defect.
Some phones were known to reboot when dialing 911, preventing users from calling emergency services. OnePlus quickly issued an update (OxygenOS 4.5.6) to fix this issue, and claimed that it happened as a result of not using the stock dialing app. OnePlus later said that the problem was "related to a modem memory usage issue", and that it was only a "random occurrence" for some users on VoLTE networks.
The OnePlus 5 became the company's fastest selling smartphone, according to CEO Carl Pei. It is also selling better than the previous generation's OnePlus 3T.
During the week leading to the device being revealed, a television advertisement was shown in the final of the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy between Pakistan and India, starring OnePlus brand ambassador and Indian film star Amitabh Bachchan.
- ^ "LineageOS adds support for OnePlus 5, more LG G6 variants, and other devices". Android Police. 2017-08-29. Retrieved 2017-10-07.
- ^ "OnePlus 5 - Launch Live Event". YouTube. 2017-06-20. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ Seifert, Dan (5 May 2017). "The OnePlus 5 will arrive this summer". The Verge. Vox Media, Inc. Archived from the original on 5 May 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- ^ Duino, Justin (2017-05-26). "Snapdragon 835 processor confirmed for the OnePlus 5". 9to5Google. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- ^ Rutnik, Mitja (18 May 2017). "OnePlus teamed up with the creators of DxOMark for the OnePlus 5 camera". Android Authority. Archived from the original on 20 June 2017. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- ^ "The 'Soft Gold' OnePlus 5 is a pretty phone, with one big downside". Android Central. 2017-08-07. Retrieved 2017-08-07.
- ^ England, Rachel (2017-09-20). "The OnePlus 5 got a whimsical French makeover". Engadget. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- ^ Savov, Vlad (2017-06-20). "OnePlus 5 review: the me-too phone". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- ^ Rahman, Mishaal (29 June 2017). "Enable the OnePlus 5's DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut Mode on the OnePlus 3T". xda-developers. Archived from the original on 29 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- ^ Schoon, Ben (2017-06-20). "The OnePlus 5 is official with Snapdragon 835, 8GB of RAM, 16 MP dual-camera, priced at $479/$539". 9to5Google. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- ^ Rogerson, James (22 June 2017). "OnePlus 5's 2x zoom isn't as optical as you might think". TechRadar. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- ^ Serrafero, Mario Tomás (6 July 2017). "DxOMark Reviews OnePlus 5 Camera Quality, Gives it a Score of 87". xda-developers. Archived from the original on 7 July 2017. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- ^ Kondrat, Tomek (21 June 2017). "OnePlus Releases the Device Trees and Kernel Sources for the OnePlus 5". xda-developers. Archived from the original on 21 June 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- ^ Kondrat, Tomek (24 June 2017). "OnePlus 5 Gets TWRP and Root". xda-developers. Archived from the original on 24 June 2017. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- ^ Singh, Sudhanshu. "Love reading? This OnePlus 5 feature is something you can't ignore". TechRadar. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- ^ Velazco, Chris (20 June 2017). "OnePlus 5 review: Making the leap from good to great". Engadget. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- ^ Pierce, David. "Review: OnePlus 5". WIRED. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- ^ "Do NOT Trust OnePlus 5 Benchmarks in Reviews - How OnePlus Cheated". xda-developers. 2017-06-22. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- ^ Thomson, Iain (21 June 2017). "OnePlus accused of installing cheat codes for benchmarks with new handset". The Register. Archived from the original on 2017-06-21. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- ^ Rahman, Mishaal (30 June 2017). "Confirmed: OnePlus 5's Display is Inverted - Likely Causes Jelly Scrolling". xda-developers. Archived from the original on 1 July 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- ^ Smith, Chris. "Copying the iPhone is what caused the serious OnePlus 5 screen issue". BGR.
- ^ Rahman, Mishaal (28 June 2017). "OnePlus is Aware of the Jelly Scrolling Effect Some OnePlus 5 Owners are Reporting". xda-developers. Archived from the original on 29 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- ^ Rahman, Mishaal (29 June 2017). "OnePlus States the OnePlus 5's Jelly Scrolling Effect is Not a Defect". xda-developers. Archived from the original on 29 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- ^ "Some OnePlus 5s are reportedly rebooting after dialing 911 | The Verge". www.theverge.com. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- ^ "OnePlus Issues OxygenOS 4.5.6 Hotfix Update to Fix Reboot When Calling 911". xda-developers. 2017-07-20. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- ^ Gartenberg, Chaim (20 July 2017). "The OnePlus 5 gets a software update fixing the 911 reboot bug". The Verge. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- ^ Villas-Boas, Antonio (20 July 2017). "OnePlus has fixed a terrifying bug that made some of their newest smartphones reboot when you tried to call 911". Business Insider. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- ^ Lynch, Doug (25 July 2017). "OnePlus Explains the Cause of the 911 Bug on the OnePlus 5". xda-developers. Retrieved 26 July 2017.
- ^ "OnePlus 5 is the company's fastest-selling smartphone". Android Authority. 2017-06-21. Retrieved 2017-09-12.
- ^ Siddiqui, Aamir (18 June 2017). "OnePlus Reveals the OnePlus 5 in India Through Strategic TV Ad Campaign". xda-developers. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- ^ "OnePlus 5 Exclusive Launch at Amazon.in | Subscribe to Notify on Release Date". Amazon India. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- ^ "OnePlus 5 information". Indian Express. Retrieved 19 June 2017.