OneWeb, formerly known as WorldVu, is a global communications company founded by Greg Wyler. The company is based in Arlington, Virginia and plans to launch the OneWeb satellite constellation, a network of 648 Low Earth orbit microsatellites, starting in late 2017.
Its intended goal is to "reach hundreds of millions of potential users residing in places without [existing] broadband access".
In June 2015, OneWeb entered a deal with Airbus Defence and Space for the construction of its broadband Internet satellites after a competition among U.S. and European manufacturers.
In December 2016, OneWeb raised $1 billion from SoftBank Group Corp. and $200 million from existing investors.
In February 2017, OneWeb announced that it expected to sell all of its capacity by launch time, yet the only announced capacity sold was for a joint Gogo and Intelsat venture. Wyler announced he was considering nearly quadrupling the size of the satellite constellation by adding 1,972 additional satellites that it has priority rights to. With the original capital raise of $500 million in 2015, plus the $1 billion investment of SoftBank in 2016, previous "investors committed to an additional $200 million, bringing OneWeb’s total capital raised to $1.7 billion."
- ^ "SoftBank to invest $1 billion in U.S. venture OneWeb as part of $50 billion pledge". Reuters.
- ^ "OneWeb | Solution". OneWeb. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- ^ "OneWeb Leases Office Space Just Outside D.C. - SpaceNews.com". SpaceNews.com. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- ^ "OneWeb Wins $500 Million in Backing for Internet Satellite Network". NBC News. 2015-06-25. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- ^ "Google-backed Global Broadband Venture Secures Spectrum for Satellite Network". SpaceNews. 2014-05-30. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- ^ Clark, Stephen. "OneWeb selects Airbus to build 900 Internet satellites | Spaceflight Now". Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- ^ /review-c_feljlycread/best/oneweb-weighing-2000-more-satellites/
- ^ FORTUNE. "Japan's SoftBank Invests $1 Billion in Satellite Startup OneWeb". Fortune. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- ^ /review-c_feljlycread/popular/oneweb-says-no-steam-lost-despite-intelsat-merger-unravelling/
|This space- or spaceflight-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|